Boynton Beach History
The History Of Boynton Beach;
Boynton Beach is located just north of Delray Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida. It has a population of roughly 70,000 people. Many residents of Boynton Beach are snow-birds. They spend from as little as a few weeks a year to more than six months in South Florida. Boynton Beach extends eastward as far as the Intracoast Waterway. The neighboring municipalities of Ocean Ridge and Briny Breezes are located directly on the Ocean, east of Boynton Beach.
An American Civil War veteran by the name of Nathan Smith Boynton first settled the area now known as Boynton Beach. Nathan Smith brought the first settlers from his native Port Huron, Michigan to help develop and build the town. Smith and his settlers built the famous Boynton Hotel. They shipped produce to American cities around the country by way of the Florida East Coast Railrod.
Boynton Beach was initially incorporated as the Town of Boynton in the 1920s. A community that broke off from Boynton in 1931 and called it's self Boynton Beach ultimately changed it's name in 1939 to Ocean Ridge. Following that change, the Town of Boynton to the name Boynton Beach in 1941. In time, land along the Intracoastal Waterway and the Ocean became more valuable. This was in part due to the expansion of the Seaboard Air Line Railway which spured grow inland. Many dairy farms began to form westward of the Intracoastal Waterway. Over time Boynton became the main supplier of milk for all of Palm Beach County. However, by the 1970s and 1980s the dairies were no longer making profits and the lands were converted to housing developments.
On October 24, 2005, Hurricane Wilma hit Boynton Beach and caused widespread damage to the area. Since then, real estate prices have steadily declined. However, expansion westward continues and as of 2010 Boynton's population size increase to over 36,000 households. The schools in Boynton Beach are served by the Palm Beach County School district. There are three public high schools, Boynton Beach Community High School, Park Vista Community High School and South Tech Academy Charter High School that teach grades nine through twelve.
The enclosed Boynton Beach Mall was built in 1985 and is located along Congress Avenue. It is presently owned by the Simon Proeprty Group. In May of 2007 Muvico Theaters opened a 14 screen movie theater at the mall's new lifestyle center addition. Muvico has since sold the theater to Cinemark. Development along Congress continued following the construction of the Boynton Beach Mall. Many new shopping centers opened, attracting consumers from Palm Beach and neighboring counties.
In 2004 plans to develop a portion of the Motorola Campus, located directly east of the Boynton Beach Mall began to take shape. Construction on Renaisaance Commons, a combination of condominiums, townhouses, office suites and retail stores took the area by storm. People looking to live within walking distance to the mall, other stores and work now had a place consider and the residential properties in Renaissance Commons sold very quickly. Today, prices in Renaissance Commons have declined with the rest of the real estaet market.
West of Florida's Turnpike developer G.L. Homes, known for their Valancia communities, is still working on construction of several neighborhoods, The Canyons (Canyon Lakes, Canyon Isles, Canyon Springs and Canyon Trails) and Valencia Reserve. With the construction of Canyon Town Center, a strip shopping center, with Publix, Walgreens and Panera Bread as anchor tenants, local residents have access to nearby shopping. More over, in mid 2010 ground breaking began on the Bethseda West Boynton Hospital which will be located at the corner of Boynton Beach Blvd. and Route 441 or State Road 7.